Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Painter in Residence - First Reveal






If you haven't read previous posts, here is a little intro on this project. I have recently been selected as one of Annie Sloan's (inventor behind Chalk Paint) to be one of her painters in residence. The program was focused around making over four pieces of furniture over the course of three months and Annie was going to do the reveal through her social media outlets.

My previous posts gives hints of what the audience is about to see in the coming weeks, but this little green piece is the first one to go through the complete reveal.

This cabinet came from a friend of mine who asked me to give this tired piece of furniture a make-over. The cabinet was scratched and beaten and did not suite the style of my friend's house. I was given free reign to work with any technique or style as long as the base colour was green.

I chose to work with traditional and sophisticated palette of Olive, Versailles and Country Grey and created a gradient colour effect by applying the darkest colour - Olive_ to the top section of the cabinet, working down to Versailles and then Country Grey. To add a modern touch I used scallop shaped masking tape to create an interesting border where tow colours met.

Inside the cabinet I used Graphite, which is both neutral and dramatic. I then finished the piece with a coat of Annie Sloan's Clear Soft Wax.

No comments:

Post a Comment